If you love cars then you’ve probably thought about a career that involves working with cars
There are many jobs you can do that let you work with cars on a day-to-day basis, whether it’s driving yourself, buying and selling cars or working on other people’s vehicles.
Below are some of the main jobs you can do in either the motor trade or working as a driver.
Motor trade jobs
- Car sales – Working as a car salesman, as with most sales jobs, doesn’t have many barrier to entries but that doesn’t mean anyone can do it well. In order to succeed as a car salesman you will need to have a passion for cars, possess good people skills and being able to deal with the adminstrative side of things.
- Mechanic – In order to work as a mechanic you will need to have the right training. A lot of younger mechanics start out by working as an apprentice. Having the skills to work as a mechanic will not only by extremely useful for your career but also in your personal life.
- Recovery agent – Working as a breakdown recovery agent is something you can do as a freelancer and the only thing you really need is a recovery truck and some contacts to get started.
- Courier – As far as driving jobs go, becoming a courier is probably the one with the lowest barrier to entry. You only really need a car or small van in order to get started working as a freelance courier. The big challenge is getting regular work, which can be difficult when you’re new to the job and don’t have any contacts.
- Taxi driver – Another type of driving job you can do is becoming a taxi driver. Driving a taxi is great if you like meeting new people all the time. In order to work as a taxi driver you’ll need your own vehicle, a taxi driver’s licence and to get taxi insurance. These are just the basic requirements though – in addition to this you’ll almost certainly need to pass a competency test as well as medical tests and character assessment.
- Truck driver – If you enjoy doing long journeys and don’t mind the stress that can accompany driving such a large vehicle, then becoming a truck driver could be the perfect career for you. You will need to do the necessary training to become a truck driver since driving a truck is nothing like driving a car due to their large size.