If you own heavy goods vehicles then you need to make sure you get the right type of cover for them.
The type of cover you’ll need to get will depend on the type of trucks you have, for example if you have a fleet of skip lorries that need cover then you’ll need to get skip lorry insurance from a site such as http://www.multiquotetruck.co.uk/
Below are some of the main types of cover you can get with a HGV insurance policy as well as some ways to save money –
Types of cover
- Road risks – Road risks are the most fundamental type of cover you need when taking out a HGV insurance policy. It will ensure that your trucks are road legal and if you take out a fully comprehensive policy, then they’ll be covered for all types of collisions. If you want to save money then you can get a third party only policy.
- Public liability – Public liability insurance is another very important type of cover when you own HGVs. It will ensure that if a liability claim were to go against your company, you’d have enough money to cover it. You can also have legal expenses included.
- Breakdown recovery – Breakdown recovery is extremely important as it will ensure that if any of your trucks breakdown, they’ll be back on the road again ASAP.
- Pay annually – If you can pay for your policy upfront on an annual basis then you’ll be able to negotiate a lower rate with insurance providers. Although you pay more initially, it is a good way to save money in the long term.
- Hire reliable drivers – Hiring reliable drivers, who are over the age of 25 and have a clean driving and criminal record will certainly help to lower the cost of HGV insurance. This is because insurance providers always think about how likely you are to make a claim on your policy when coming up with a price. More reliable drivers means less chance of making a claim.
- Get multiple quotes – Getting quotes from different providers is a very good way to save money on HGV insurance. It’s very easy to get quotes now by using an online insurance comparison service.